Oh, the thrill of hunting! Only a hunter knows exactly what it feels like. If your target is coyotes, then you know that these animals can be quite slippery just like their distant cousins the wolves.
That means that catching one may prove to be quite a challenge, especially at night. We guess you want the fur from the coyotes or you want to prove a point.
Fortunately, you can get best night vision scope for coyote hunting. With such a device, you get to see your target from yards away even in total darkness. That makes hunting at night easier.
The best part is that you get to decide whether you want a new high-tech one or the conventional type. Now, we have to tell you that picking the perfect one is not going to be an easy task, but that is why we are here.
In this review, we are going to cover everything you need to know before making your purchase so you may want to stick around.
Top-Rated Night Vision Scopes for Coyote Hunting
Here are some best-selling night vision scopes that you can choose from.
1. ATN X-Sight-4k Pro Hunting Rifle Scope
- Waterproof Rating: Weather resistant
- Operating Temperature: -20 Degrees F to +120 Degrees F
- Dual Stream Recording: Has the ability to stream videos at HD quality and simultaneously record to the SD card.
- Ballistic Calculator: Ensures you capture near-perfect shots no matter the weather or altitude.
- Battery: Lithium Ion with 18+ Hours of battery life
- Weight: 2.1 pounds
- Eye Relief: 90mm
- Video Resolution: 1080p
- 2 standard rings
- Infra-red illuminator
- L-Shape ring
- Ring with Picatinny rail
- USB-c Cable
- Scope cover
- Lens tissue
First up, we have this unit from ATN and the first thing we have to applaud about it is that it comes with great battery life to give you a good amount of run time. It also comes with night vision functionality to ensure that you get clearer images even when it is dark.
With this unit, you can be sure that your shot will hit the target every time. That is because it comes with a ballistic calculator and we love that about it.
2. Sightmark Wraith HD Digital Riflescope
- Waterproof Rating: IP55 water resistant
- Operating Temperature: 5 Degrees F to +122 Degrees F
- Video Recording: Bult-in HD recording capabilities complete with 8X digital zoom, nighttime and daytime color modes.
- Weapon Profiles: Comprises 5 weapon profiles that are adequate for saving zeroes for various calibers and firearms.
- Battery: 4 AA with 4.5 hours of battery life
- Weight: 2.0 pounds
- Eye Relief: 2.4mm
- Video Resolution: 1080p HD
- IR flashlight
- Quick start guide
- Fixed Picatinny mount
- Objective lens cover
Are you ready to look into the future in HD quality? This riflescope has you sorted with its 1920x1080 HD sensor that provides full-color clarity.
Another great thing about it is that it comes with a memory card and micro USD slot. That means that you can capture all the memories you want and keep from remembrance or even share them with others.
That said; what we loved most about it is that it is reasonably priced without compromising on the quality hence giving you value for money.
3. Pinty Rifle Scope 3-9x32
- Waterproof Rating: Waterproof, Fog proof
- Magnifications: from 3x up to 9x, complete with 5 adjustable brightness levels
- Reflex Sight: Has a red/green dot reflex sight complete with a high-resolution image unlimited eye relief and highly accurate optic
- Material: Made from tough aircraft-grade aluminum that’s nitrogen purged plus o-ring sealed for all-weather performance.
- Battery: 1x CR2032
- Magnification: 3x to 9x
- Eye Relief: 3” – 3.4”
- Reticle Type: Rangefinder
- Cleaning cloth
- General manuals
- Allen keys
- Green laser sight
If you are looking for versatility, you will find it in this 4 in 1 unit that features a green laser sight and rangefinder riflescope.
It is fog and waterproof as well making it the perfect choice to use regardless of the weather. We cannot forget that it offers eye relief to delay the possibility of eye fatigue.
We love that it is waterproof and easy to mount as well.
4. ATN Auxiliary Ballistic Rangefinder
- High Accuracy: Boasts a range of up to 1000 yards.
- Ballistic Calculator: Provides you with a small ballistic calculator enabling you to capture perfect shots in different conditions.
- Power Profile: Ultra low power consumption, provides up to 12 hours of continuous use.
- Material: Built from hardened aluminum allow complete with impact resistant components. Ideal for high caliber weapons.
- Battery: 1x CR2 type, 3V providing up to 12 hours of battery life
- Weight: 0.8 lb
- Compatibility: Obsidian II or higher
- Warranty: 2 years
- Assembly instructions
With this product, you will get unparalleled accuracy and we believe you will appreciate that because it increases your chances of hitting your target correctly on your first attempt.
Moving away from that, the scope is extremely easy to use so you do not have to worry if you are a beginner when it comes to hunting.
Did we mention that you will get to view your images in HD? You will get that as well with this unit and we love that about it.
5. UUQ 4-12X50 Rifle Scope
- Eye Relief: This scope provides you with unlimited eye relief. This ensures optimal safety even during recoil.
- Material: The scope is made from T6061 aluminum for enhanced durability.
- Waterproof: Rated 100% waterproof and 1200G shockproof
- Ergonomics: Decently sized with 82mm length and 3 Oz weight
- Batteries: 1x 3V lithium-ion battery
- Magnification: x12
- Brightness Levels: x5
- Eye Relief: Unlimited
- Allen head screw
- Built-in mount integrated rail
- Detachable red/green laser sight
This could easily pass as the best night vision rifle scope for coyote hunting scope especially because it is easy to set up. That also makes it ideal for first-time users.
Another great thing about it is that it comes with 5 brightness levels that you can adjust accordingly. However, what we found most appealing about it is that it is shockproof. That means that you are safer using this product.
6. BESTSIGHT Night Vision Scope
- Video Quality: This scope boasts a decent 1080p HD resolution for both daytime and nighttime recording. Plus, it has an internal SD card.
- Wifi Connectivity: Easily connects to WiFi enabling you to use your electronic devices as viewfinders.
- IR Positioning: This function enables shooters to locate targets as far as 200m away even in darkness.
- Ergonomics: It's lightweight, easy to use all day long.
- Resolution: 1080p HD
- Working distance: 200m
- Battery Size: 18650 3.7V 3pcs
- Camouflage tape
- Camera sleeve
- Fill light modulator
We believe you will get the perfect visual experience even in total darkness with this scope from BESTSIGHT. It can be used for hunting as well as surveillance making it versatile and we love that about it.
As far as the user experience, we can assure you that there will be nothing to complain about and as if that is not enough, the manufacturer includes clear and comprehensive instructions to make your experience easier.
7. Sightmark Wraith Digital Riflescope
- HD Sensor: This scope comes armed with a 1080p HD sensor. That’s all you need for high resolution imaging and video recording.
- Digital Zoom: If you’d like to zoom in to your target, this device provides you with 8x digital zoom and up to 16x magnification.
- Reticle Options: This tool boasts 10 reticle options and also 9 different colors for enhanced accuracy.
- Battery Life: You get a decent 4.5-hours of battery life powered by its 4 AA batteries.
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Detection Range: 200 yards
- Batteries: 4x AA batteries
- Resolution: 1920x1080 HD
- IR flashlight
- User manual
- Fixed Picatinny mount
- Lens cover
This riflescope comes with a high-definition sensor to alert you of targets even when you cannot physically spot them.
It is also among the most affordable on this list even with its great features thus giving you value for your money.
Moving away from that, the unit can also be used for other things like surveillance making it multipurpose. You have to love that about it.
8. Night Owl Optics Riflescope
- Ergonomics: The Night Owl is light in weight at well below 1.4 pounds. It’s also well designed to its easy-to-handle day and night.
- Resolution: This scope provides a respectable 640x480 high resolution display. It’s, however, no match for the 1080p scopes.
- Range: You get a decent 100 to 200 yards of range with this one even in typical night-time conditions.
- Waterproof Rating: Weatherproof and waterproof rated at IP67.
- Weight: 1.4 pounds
- Detection Range: 200 yards
- Batteries: 4x AA batteries (or lithium batteries)
- Resolution: 640x480 high resolution
- High-power illuminator
- Mounting system
- Data sheet
You will appreciate that this unit comes with an in-built infrared illuminator to ensure that you get clearer images even when it is dark.
Another great thing about this scope is that it is built to offer durability. That means that you are not going to be in the market for a replacement any time soon.
We love that it is weatherproof as well, meaning that it is unlikely to succumb to water damage.
9. CVLIFE 4x32 Compact Rifle Scope
- Material: This one’s made from high-quality aluminum and comes complete with a strong one-piece tube so it’s weatherproof.
- Eye Relief: With the CVLife scope you get a 4.13” eye relief which ensures you’re comfortable and safe as you use the device.
- Ergonomics: This scope measures 7.48” which ensures that it is compact and, therefore, suitable for moving quickly and aiming accurately.
- Dioptric Adjustable: The scope comes with dioptric adjustable lenses that provide both near and farsighted user adjustability for clear images always.
- Magnification: 4X
- Objective diameter: 32mm
- Batteries: 1x Lithium battery (CR2032)
- Length: 7.47” (or 190mm)
- Allen key
- Scope mount
- Lens cover
- Rifle scope
Looking at this piece, we noticed that it comes with fully coated optical glass to give you a high-contrast and bright image.
It is also sturdy so you can rely on it to stay put wherever you position it so you can concentrate on your hunting. You will also appreciate that this scope is compact making it portable and easy to store.
However, what we loved most about it is that it is made of resilient aluminum alloy to offer the durability you need while hunting.
10. ATN Thermal Rifle Scope
- Ballistic Calculator: This is an important feature as it ensures that you capture high quality shots no matter the temperature or humidity.
- Dual Stream Recording: Not only does this device stream live videos to your device but also, it saves the high-definition footage to your SD card.
- Battery Life: The ATN Thor scope provides you with a decent 18 hours of battery life under continuous use.
- Range: You can track up to 100 yards without breaking a sweat.
- Weight: 1.93 pounds
- Magnification: Up to 40x
- Video Resolution: 1280x960 at 60fps
- Eye Relief: 90mm
- Battery kit
- Remote control
- Quick detach mount
- Range finder
You never have to worry about your batteries dying in the middle of a hunting session with this scope because it is guaranteed to give you 18 or more hours of continuous use.
It is also lightweight making it the perfect companion for your hunting adventures because that translates to portability.
We love that it comes with the ability to zoom making it possible for you to bring images closer for your convenience.
How we selected these Products
As we have already mentioned, picking the right product may turn out to be a bit overwhelming or even confusing.
That is why you need to consider several crucial factors before buying. Here are some of the factors we feel you should look at before making your purchase.
Since we are talking about coyote hunting here, you need to know that the animal is smaller than the wolf or even your dog. You also have to factor in that it may be further than where you would like it to be.
While hunting, you want to have a closer view so that you get a better chance at hitting precisely. You will realize during your shopping that most scopes come with a zoom function on the lens.
Of course, that comes with different levels of power depending on the scope you choose. We would therefore advise you to go for one with greater magnification power. It is likely to cost you more but we promise you it will be worth your while.
Field of View
You also want to consider the field of view that you will get from your scope. It is important to know how far you are from your target with a clearer vision.
As far as the field of view, all we can tell you is the wider, it is, the better. You need to capture the surrounding of your target as well.
As such, we would advise you to go for a 3.5-9x if you are hunting with a carbine rifle or a 12-20x range for larger rifles for long-range shots in open spaces.
Signal to Noise Ratio
We want to believe that you are the kind of hunter who would go on an expedition even at night if the need arises.
If you frequently hunt during the night, you want to get a scope with excellent sensors that will pick up signals even in thick fog. Note that not all sensors are the same – some will not function when the atmosphere is not calm. You want a night vision scope whose sensor can feel objects even if it is further away.
Now, when it comes to noise, the lesser it is, the better it is for you and your hunting attempts. You see, when the noise is too much, it will startle your target or even scare them away and you don't want that.
When we talk of detection range, we mean the furthest distance at which you can identify your target. This has to do with your scope's capabilities in low-light conditions.
Typically, identification range and detection are measured when it is pitch dark. Now, there are different scopes in the market and their mode of operation appears to be quite different. That said; the one thing that should remain constant while picking a coyote night vision scope is the coverage range.
A scope can use either heat or light energy to obtain a distant object. If it detects light energy, it will not be able to fetch from spots that are further away. Most of them will not surpass the 1000-tard mark. Of course, the one that detects heat energy goes beyond that mark.
Since the coyote is a living thing that emits heat, you want to go for a scope that detects heat energy instead of light. That way, you will be able to hit your target even if it is further away since you will get clearer images that make shooting easier.
We have no idea where you intend to do your coyote hunting but it is important to find out if you need licensing to do it.
For instance, some states will require you to have a permit and license before you can begin hunting there. Others allow natives to hunt without any form of documentation.
Regardless, the last thing you want is to find yourself on the wrong side of the law so be sure to find out about licensing before you start looking for the next coyote to hit.
All night vision scopes come with a digital core. Did you know that? That means that they require electrical power supplied through batteries because again, you will be moving with the device from place to place.
The thing with batteries is that some will give you a decent amount of run time while others will not. When we say that you need great battery life, we mean that your night vision scope of choice should provide you with 16 hours of continuous use or more.
The best scopes for night hunting come with in-built rechargeable batteries that can be plugged into external power sources to give you as much power as you may need.
How Night Vision Scopes Work
Now that you have the buying guide, how about we explain how night vision scopes function? The first thing you need to understand is that night vision is supposed to amplify whatever light you have in low light conditions to give you a clearer picture.
That means that night vision is useless if you attempt to use it where there is absolutely no light. Night vision scopes come with an objective lens that takes ambient light and tosses it through a tube referred to as the image intensifier.
The system then applies power to the components of the tube and converts light into electrons. The process goes on via tons of microchannel in a microchannel plate.
While passing through the microchannels, the electrons multiply over and over thus creating more electrons. They then exit and smash into a phosphors-coated screen that makes the image appear green.
The electrons then interact and as they pass through the microchannels they are multiplied over and over, creating thousands of new electrons. These electrons exit the microchannels and smash into a screen that is coated with phosphors (They make the image green).
The electrons interact with light to create more photons which creates the same picture you originally saw only that the light is amplified hence allowing you to see in the dark although your image will be green.
Uses of Night Vision Scope
It is now time to see what can be done with a night vision scope.
1.The device reduces the chances of you missing your target. Of course, several factors combine to actualize that. For instance, the optics magnify your target to make it clearer while the ballistic calculator helps in calculating the trajectory with which your bullet will fly.
2.It saves helps save on resources. By missing a target, you waste your bullets and they come at a cost right? With a night vision scope, you are unlikely to miss thus minimizing wastage.
the usage of resources. If you miss a target, you will have wasted your bullets. Bear in mind that they are costly as well. Using a thermal scope, therefore, is one way of minimizing the waste of such resources.
3.You get a nearer and more visible picture of your target with the device. We know that your target could be further from you making it harder to hit them precisely. That makes your hunting sessions boring and futile.
4.With the use of a recoil mechanism, the scope can provide additional security to your surveillance camera. That helps in maintaining the health and newness of your scope.
5.You get to enjoy effective and fun hunting regardless of whether it is dark or not. This means you're your hunting expeditions will not be hindered by darkness.
Some of these devices can even be used when it is raining so you become limitless as far as hunting.
6.These devices detect heat energy so they can produce images even in the absence of light. What we are trying to say is that with the best night vision scope for coyote hunting, you can detect animals at a distance even without having physically spotted them.
Which are the Best Areas for Coyote Hunting in the USA?
Granted, you can do your hunting wherever you like, but you are probably wondering where to do it so that your effort pays off.
Well, here are some of the areas where you are likely to succeed in hunting for coyotes.
The Central part of Nevada is one of the best places to look for coyotes and that is mainly because the area accommodates many private ranchers.
What is even better, is that most of these ranchers will allow you to go on hunting even after the hunting season elapses in the winter.
Keep in mind that livestock ranches are an attraction to coyotes and if the ranch is huge enough, the ranchers may have a pit for disposing of dead livestock thus attracting the coyotes.
The western region of Nebraska harbors an abundance of coyotes. The habitation of the animals there is so good that it surpasses Kansas.
Anywhere you go in Nebraska, you are likely to find the wild dogs but the best part is that you will not require a license to hunt if you are a native.
If you are coming from outside the state, you will need a non-resident permit which is not so hard to obtain.
Colorado is probably the best place to hunt coyotes mostly because the area has an abundance of national forests.
That along with cool weather and high altitudes makes the state the ideal place to hunt. What you may find most appealing, however, is that you do not have to waste time trying to get permission from ranchers to hunt.
In the state, coyotes are considered game. Therefore, they can be hunted all year round as long as you have a fur-bearer license.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let us address some commonly asked questions as far as night vision scopes for coyote hunting. We believe that will give you a better understanding of the same.
What is the best cheap night vision scope?
If you are looking for a cheap night vision scope for coyote hunting, you want to keep in mind that there are many great and reasonably priced options in the market but if we had to pick one, it would have to be the ATN X-Sight II Day/Night Rifle Scope.
This is a durable option with a stylish design and rifle scope. It also comes with innovative optics that will allow you to use the device whether it is night or day.
Another great thing about the riflescope is that it is equipped with a Recoil Activated Video that allows you to record your adventures so that you can keep them for remembrance or even share them with others.
As if that is not enough, the scope comes with a recorder that allows you to capture moments so with an SD card, you get to record your victory without having to use any USB cables
Now, the only major downside with this piece is that its settings tend to freeze up. To remedy that, you will have to take the battery out and put it back in or reset the device. This can be inconvenient.
What is better night vision or thermal?
This entirely depends on what you are looking for. Thermal vision is more modern, utilizes the latest technology, and comes at a higher cost.
On the other hand, night vision has been in existence for a long time, is cheaper but does not surpass the thermal option.
What time of night are coyotes most active?
One thing you need to keep in mind is that these animals are not strictly nocturnal. It is possible to spot them during the day.
However, coyotes are generally active after sunset.
What is a good scope for coyote hunting?
The best night vision scope for coyote hunting needs to come with clarity, recording capability, range detection, and great battery life. It should also be within your budget.
Essentially, the device should make your hunting at night as easy as it is when you do it during the day.
What time of day are coyotes most active?
As we have previously mentioned, these animals are not necessarily nocturnal as they can be spotted during the day.
That said; they are usually active during the night.
Well, there you have it!
Coyote hunting requires you to be prepared. Since there is an array of models in the market, you may find it challenging to pick the perfect one. To simplify the selection process, we have put together this guide.
Use it as a tool to update your hunting skills and make the right purchase.